Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sponging

I have just finished John Shelby Spong’s “A New Christianity for a New World”, which I understood. I met the good bishop once at a workshop. We had lunch together. I was impressed. But I wanted so much for there to have been a fix-it god who could have heard my prayers and healed my situation, but then either this god didn’t care, I didn’t get the formula right to persuade him, or he doesn’t exist, at least in that “Father” form. If he does exist, does that mean that there is no god or that god is not like that at all? I am going for the second option, a non-theistic god, the ground-of-being. This draws me into Progressive Christianity, which I have explored before. I think that now I am only loosely Christian because I need to use the software that I know. I shall spend this time in Halifax reading and thinking, but today I need to vacuum out the car. I shall do it mindfully.

No comments: