Saturday, January 31, 2009

tomato wars



I went shopping for groceries - at Sobey's - shopping for the 100 Mile Diet seems well nigh impossible. But I had driven past a green house with tomatoes on my way. There were five kinds of tomatoes laid out in the shop. Even though the signs said "Grown in Canada" the stickers on the fruit clearly said "Mexico". The green grocer was arranging the red orbs. So I said that I wanted tomatoes grown in Canada.
"These are all Mexican."
"So I see."
"This is January". I definitely knew that.
"Yes", I replied, picking up a plastic container, "but these are hot house tomatoes and we have green houses."
Yes, but the Super Store (the competitor) has all the contracts for all the green houses all tied up."
This is a cut throat business. Tomato wars, and who knows what else.

I bought the package.

1 comment:

Rita said...

Hi Judith, so glad you have a sink. Your adventure sounds full of the unexpected, eg canadian tomaotes via mexico, forzen water valves, strmy winds and unknown or unfamiliar house noises. Continue to have fun. Rita