Tuesday, August 26, 2008

saleslady

A couple of weeks ago I asked a sister what she wanted for her birthday. She wanted an alarm clock. I put it in the back of my mind to find one that was just right for her. I found it in a giftshop. I reached for it. The saleslady spoke quite brusquely to me that she would get it down so I wouldn't break anything. She reached for it and knocked down a cow cup and spoon. "Now it's broken", she said. I replied that it looked fine to me as I picked it the cow. "This clock will be just wonderful for my sister", I said, as I tried to lighten the leaden atmosphere. "It's for a child." she said. "I think that it is just right for my sister." "But it's for a child." "But if sisters can't be playful with each other, who can? That's what sisters are for". I was thinking of my sister who has a black cat on her kitchen wall with eyes that move and I think the tail does, also. She didn't crack a smile as she rung it through the cash. It must be so sad for people who grow up.
The alarm is a meow, of course. I tested it on my cats when I got home. They certainly took notice. So happy birthday and I'll get it to you whenever someone is going your direction.

No comments: