Thursday, September 4, 2008

purple carrot



Last May, when I returned to reclaim my home, I had to pull two years of weeds from the vegetable garden, the potager. I planted it with some gifts of old seed, and I purchased one packet, purple carrots, because I had seen them do so well in Northern Ontario. I put in a row of carrots and left for work in New Brunswick, returning a month later for my holidays. Now carrots germinate quite slowly and anyway they look a bit like little sprouts of grass when they start. A dear friend came over to the garden and thinking that there was nothing there, planted a row of lovely violas where I had sowed the purple carrots. Between the blue and purple flowers was one small carrot. It grew. I pulled it yesterday and ate it today. It was very sweet.

No comments: