Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Cadiz







Computer glitches led to my being unable to blog yesterday - so here I am at the office trying to make up.
I just loved Cadiz. We wandered around, had tapas in an open air cafe, and just enjoyed.
An old man we talked to in the plaza outside the cathedral told us about how the citizens watched the Battle of Trafalgar from their roof tops. That was when war was a spectator sport.
(Some ancestor is said to have been shipwrecked during the battle and walked home to Scotland. This may be an exaggeration. I presume that he got a lift across the Channel.)
We sailed through the Straits of Gibraltar well after midnight, but some of us were up for the experience. The rock loomed in the darkness. Africa was very close. Then just before dawn we entered the Eastern Hemisphere. I was asleep for that major event.

No comments: