Friday, February 15, 2008

going east









Earlier this week I flew to the east. I left in the middle of the night, around 4:30 and arrived after dark. Then I rented a car and drove for an hour and found the motel that this church had reserved for me. They had wanted me to come for an interview. This is my third and both of the other places made me an offer, so I almost didn't come to this one - too many choices! I found myself a late supper at a nearby pizza joint and then collapsed into bed.

In the morning I drew the curtains and looked out on this open water. Open water! We do not have open water in February here in the north. My heart sang! So I went and met with people all day, but I took a break at lunch time to find myself a bowl of chowder. It was good, very good, but it was not up to Cynthia's standard back home in Nova Scotia, not in quantity, quality or in price! But it was chowder and it was good, and I was back in the Maritimes. At the end of the afternoon, before sunset, I took the rental car and drove through the hills that I can see from my Nova Scotia home across the Bay. It is, however, over five hours to drive around!

I saw the Official Board in the evening. Then I drove back to a hotel near the airport in the vain attempt to avoid another storm. I swam in their spa pool and collapsed into their kingsize bed. The first thing in the morning I was at the airport, but then the storm closed in. I finally got back to Northern Ontario the next day in the middle of the night. (My luggage caught up with me the following evening.) An email was waiting for me offering me the position - and I'm going to take it. So here are the cats relaxing in the sun, happy that they can go to the Maritimes instead of returning to death row at the animal shelter.

Life takes some unexpected twists and turns. I was simply not expecting to go to the Maritimes. Every door there seemed to be shut.

Now I have no more travelling until the day after tomorrow when I am using my points to fly out and see my sisters. Another storm is forecast for that day.

1 comment:

JustMe (Margaret) said...

mmmm ... fish chowder. Are those tomatoes or sweet red pappers? The bit of scallion is quite a revelation.

New Hampshire chowder is all white with a drizzle of golden butter floating on top. Health food? Probably not. Keeps ya goin' though.

Yours looks much more interesting.