Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ground Hog Day


Whilst the rest of the Christian world may have celebrated Candlemas today, in Canada and the in the United States we celebrate Gound Hog Day. This morning the rodents come out of their burrows and see if they can see their shadows. If they do there will be six more weeks of winter. Of course if they do not, then winter will be shorter (probably by a day or possibly two). This morning the varmit would have seen his shadow. I didn't see the actual animal but here are the shadows. So sometime in late March the snows may begin to melt.

1 comment:

bmbooshay said...

Aw, Ground Hog Day. Have you ever seen the movie? Personally I cannot stand it. This seems like a traditionally weird thing to celebrate and make it have a specific day. In Florida the ground hog seeing or not seeing his shadow makes no difference, but I can always hope. Your snow won’t melt until March? Our snow never arrives unless in a snow cone or in the panhandle. What is Candlemas? I’m Christian, but I do not know what that is. You seem to not like the creature by calling it varmint and rodent. I also sense a little sarcasm in the day or two shorter of a winter. To me it’s just another way of making life interesting, like celebrating strawberries with a festival.