Monday, January 25, 2010

Burnses



On Robbie Burns night, Carman and Alice Burns celebrated their anniversary. They cut a cake, not the haggis, but Carman did recite by heart: "My love is like a red, red  rose" before they cut the heart shaped cake. Not withstanding the fact that Robbie was noted for his philandering.


O my luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O mu luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.


Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
O I will luve thee still, my dear
While the sands o' life shall run.


And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Tho' 'twere ten thousand miles.


O my luve's like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.


 

 

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

How lovely! As far as Carman and Alice Burns are concerned, Burns Day is all about them!

It's true Robbie Burns was a philandering little silver-tongued devil, but I guess he was the rock star of his day to all those village lassies, eh?