Sunday, January 25, 2009

bare naked statue revisited



I took this as I walked by the little statue this afternoon. This is the same little garden ornament that I showed on January 16. Statues are amusing in the winter with the snow covering naked limbs; or the noble statues in the city squares with the pigeons sitting on the head and the droppings staining down the face and shoulders. I remember our Canadian Sir John A MacDonald with his friendly pigeons. I also remember the story that I heard when I was a child about someone the family knew who was in an automobile accident. He was knocked unconscious and laid out on the grass by the statue at the cenotaph - an angel hovering over a marching Great War soldier, Westmount, Quebec. He came to and looked up and saw the angel above him. He thought that he had died.

No comments: