Saturday, January 24, 2009

hemming



To begin with I have been going to "Curves", a women's gym, and it has made no difference to my girth. But as of yesterday I don't feel too badly about this state of affairs because a learned Alzheimer Disease researcher was on the radio saying that thirty minutes of strength and cardio exercise three times a week was the best known defense against the disease. This has given me new encouragement.

Now to back up, a friend gave me a bag of placemats to take to the Thrift Shop. While there I just had to look at the racks and came up with two great finds. One was a new silk oriental jacket. The other was a crushed mauve "velvet" pant suit. So then the jacket needed pants and the suit needed a white tee with neck detail. This plunged me into actually having to shop for clothes.

Today, on the way to the gym, I stopped into the classy women's shop. I need a petite. I tried a 14 - definitely a no go. I tried a 16 - still no go. They didn't have an 18. I'm feeling somewhat deflated. But after much searching I did find a 14 with a different cut, not nearly as nice and with a regular length leg. It fitted well and was the cheapest, which is something.

So the legs were too long and I hemmed them this afternoon. But when you live alone and without a full length mirror, the length is a matter of guess work.

This still left the "little" shirt to go under suit jacket/shirt. I had to go to the only other place in town, Walmart's. I absolutely detest Walmart's. My usual clothing shop is Mark's Work Warehouse, (nice undies) but sometimes I have to be a little more upscale. I did find a shirt, not what I had in mind, but it will do. And a found a red shirt for $4.00 for the Valentine's party.

So I have two new outfits and a red blast of a shirt, and there you are: a clothes horse, I am.

No comments: