Thursday, August 27, 2009

horse pulling



People sit entranced watching for hours as these horses pull heavier and heavier loads on sledges. The the horses wait for their turn. They seem to enjoy it. I love draft horses, the size, the form and, of course, the brasses. And I love watching the people watch the horses. This is a slow guy game. I noticed that several of the horses were called "Judy", an excellent name.

I grew up in a large city, but we had horses for the bakery, the milk, the ash, and ice wagons. And I love watching horses work in the fields, the silence and the rhythm. I knew a team of Belgians, Duke and Prince, just a few years ago who worked in the sugar bush. They knew the route. The farmer figured they worked better than a tractor, less damage to the forest floor and they would just follow him from tree to tree. Tractors lack brains.

And some space to be:

No comments: