Saturday, July 21, 2007

go and get

“Go and get.” – I was quieting my mind and beginning my mediation this morning and these words kept going through my head like some sort of continuous tape – “Go and buy a tent. Go and buy camping gear. Go to Canada Tire and buy camping equipment.” Now I’m sixty-three. I haven’t camped for at least ten years. I tried to pray. I kept thinking about it. I did some morning chores and then went to the store at the other end of town. In the end, after looking at all the equipment, I made the following purchases: a 2 person tent, a self inflatable mattress, a sleeping bag, a stove, a chair, a gas bottle and a lighter - $153.68. So if I take a dishpan, a pot and a can opener, I’m set. Camp sites are always more interesting than motels and the cost of travelling with restaurants for all meals as well as dreary motels one of which looks just like the other, I should begin to realise savings after a pretty short period. Now if my body can get used to sleeping on the ground, this could be an adventure. So I’m heading off in three days to spend a week the family cottage. It’s going to be very crowded as the clan is gathering, so I think that I might just try out the gear in the woods and see how it goes.

No comments: