Monday, July 23, 2007

Papal headline

Morning: I wake around dawn, which is still coming early here. I usually make myself a cup of hat water with a slice of lemon or lime. I spend some time meditating. My next step, even before breakfast, I walk to the corner store and bait shop and get the newspaper. So today as I eat, I look over the “International” headlines: “Pope Prays for Peace”. Is that news? Isn’t that what he is supposed to do? It would catch my attention if it read “Pope Prays for War”. It would disturb me, but I would certainly notice it. So there was his photo, standing in his white, with a row of old men in their dark cassocks. I suppose that they were cardinals, but it was a black and white photograph. How can a male hierarchy that excludes women and the married folk talk of peace in the face of injustice and sexism? Perhaps it all came to mind because on Sunday we read the story of Martha and Mary. Mary chose to take her place as one of the disciples sitting at the feet of Jesus. Jesus accepted her, but somehow all this is lost on this pope. I pray for an end to this papal tyranny. It doesn’t make headlines.

No comments: