Tuesday, July 24, 2007

down the road

I’m heading out to the cottage early tomorrow morning and will away from electricity and Internet. Instead I will have the lake and lots of books. I’ll be back in a week. So you won’t be hearing from me. Maybe by the time I get back, my computer will be fixed, and I won’t be using this borrowed machine. My great grand parents on two sides went to this cottage, or at least the one before this one, which burnt down. This one was built in 1950. It was where I spent my childhood and my children spent theirs. And I’ve been away for eleven years, unable to return, but this summer I am free for a few days and will make it back to the place of my dreams, a little cottage on a point in the centre of a mountain lake. It’s an eleven-hour drive and I can hardly wait to be on the road tomorrow morning. My family is gathering to celebrate my homecoming. I was in an unloving relationship that separated me from my family. I missed so much and now I am receiving so much.

No comments: