Friday, September 25, 2009

Polygonum cuspidatum

It is not really a bamboo, although many seem to think it is. It is Japanese Knotweed. It is a scourge, very invasive, but it is also quite lovely in its own way. It begins with a sprout in the spring and ends up ten feet high. I had read that in order to feng shui my property  to get either wealth, health or love, I cannot remember which, I should plant bamboo in the south east corner. I mentioned this to my neighbour on that side. She blanched. "You're not going to plant that knotweed!". No, because it isn't bamboo and would not provide me with filthy lucre and unbridled romance. There isn't even a place to plant any bamboo there at the moment, because sometime I want to put in a circular driveway there. I don't know if there is a strain of bamboo that would really grow in our northern climes. I suppose that wealth, health and love will have to come in the more conventional manner. Still a little bamboo would not hurt.

No comments: