Monday, November 16, 2009

on being weird

I've found out that I am weird. Lots of friends and family already know that. I do not have much of a background in music, but I enjoy listening. When I listen to music there are colours in my head. I sit back and enjoy the show. I thought everyone experienced this. I never even thought about it. Apparently not, apparently I am weird. What a revelation!
I had heard about this pairing of music with colour on the radio, and that it was not usual and had something to do with neighbouring synapses. So at yesterday's concert I asked the person sitting next to me if she experenced colour, and she is a musician. But no - so much for my funny brain.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, there was an excellent piece about synesthesia on CBC Radio One's Quirks and Quarks not too long ago. I listened to it, too. Apparently it was once thought to be extremely rare but now we know synesthesia is much more common than previously believed. And no, you're not "weird", just "unique"! Or perhaps, "blessed"?