Sunday, November 15, 2009

Anniversary

Anniversary Sunday - 249th - earliest Presbyterian Church in the country. I've told them to pull out all the stops for next year. Meanwhile there is a light rain and I am in between a celebratory lunch and the anniversary concert. I can, as yet, only post when I am at the office - and tomorrow I am being evicted for the day so they can pull up the carpet. Here is a shot from the choir loft before the people gather. This building was built, I think, in 1911, after the old church was destroyed by fire. It portrays the sense of prosperity and station those old Presbyterians held in the town. Times have changed.


2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So is it still a (Continuing) Presbyterian Church or is it a United Church now? I love those beautiful wooden pews and balcony!

Judith said...

It's now a United Church (United Church of Canada) The newer continuing Presbyterian Church is next door across the parking lot.