Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday afternoon

My parents lived in a residence for the elderly. I remember my mother saying that Sunday afternoons were the most depressing because then families visited, but as I was a minister and they lived an hour and a half away, I seldom visited on a Sunday, but went during the week. Now that I am on my own I realize all the more what she was saying. Sunday afternoons are most depressing. There is no family here and I no longer that a soul mate with whom to share my life. Today I held a morning service and an evening service, and despite a number of us going out to lunch together, when I returned to the manse in the afternoon I had to face my lonliness. I know that I am to rejoice and give thanks in all things, but rejoicing came hard today. Sometimes I enjoy my company, but I would rather share my life. Even so I wonder if I shall ever trust someone again enough to enter into any relationship.

No comments: